Monday, April 24, 2006

Found Him!!!!



Actually, I found him a couple of times, but not alive and walking around. Apparently, I have to go to the Imperial Palace to find a breathing Elvis dealing cards....

I found two Elvii at Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum. This is Young Elvis in the black leather jacket. There was also a jumpsuit Elvis kneeling down on a stage. If you take his hand, he starts talking to you. His hand is extended out towards you and I saw one woman glaze over and take his hand, then jump out of her skin when he started talking! Pretty funny, actually.


If you've never been to a wax museum, I have to tell you, it's kind of freaky. I went in and after I'd walked through a few rooms and arrived at the "popular music stars" room, realized that I was allowed (encouraged) to take pictures. So I went back to the beginning of the museum and started over, taking pictures along the way. When I got back to the music room, I swear there were a couple of extra "people" there. Michael Jackson was one of them.... creepy. (I obviously don't have the knack of placing pictures in blogs yet. They just seem to show up wherever they want to!)

Professionally, this trip to Las Vegas was great! I learned a lot and feel quite easy about what's going to happen this fall, technologically speaking. I met a bunch of people I had only talked to before on the phone, and got to play MC for the FCC lawyer who came to speak to us about new regulations that affect us. I'm out of office this October and have to wait a year before I can apply to be on the committee again. It's been truly fun!

I also really have enjoyed the people I've been working with. Michelle is our chair and very enthusiastic - a great leader. Nicole is so much fun - an unintentional comedianne who leaves my sides aching. Odom brings past experience and tends to keep us on track, while Sara is a breath of fresh (young) air and keeps us in touch with the newer people in our business. Alicia is back from having a baby and a seriously ill husband (and was missed terribly); Mandy still keeps a hand in on the newsletter... she took over when Alicia had to leave. I will miss working with them. There are three others who are relatively new. This was their first conference as members of the committee and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in the next couple of years. Nick has become our fearless leader on the national level, solo for the first time in years and he did an admirable job of keeping us in line!

I need a little break now - I'll be back in a little bit with more about Las Vegas itself. It really IS a different world.

2 comments:

Alice in Wonderbread said...

Rock and/or roll baby. I cannot wait to hear about it.

I'll be there in nine more working days myself. Cannot wait!

I love your coworkers and I've never met them. Isn't it nice to take time to recognize the positive? :)

Sayre said...

I love them too. It really is like a really huge family of professional, goofy, articulate, shy techno-geeks who are afraid (a little) of technology. There is so much contrast between all these people. And so much in common. I always find it tough to describe them because they really speak for themselves.