Sunday, April 30, 2006

Truly Offensive?


Isn't this lovely? It's my front deck. Apparently, my front deck will cost me more than double my house insurance if I don't put hand and guard rails up and turn over photographic evidence of it before May 10th.

Nevermind that it has been in place for over 11 years in this configuration - they're worried someone might fall off the deck. The only "person" to fall off this deck in 11 years has been an inattentive cat.

Oh, we'll comply - even though we're only going to have this house insurance for a couple more months at most. All morning I've been measuring and designing a rail system for the decks (the little platform out back doesn't comply either). I was all fired up to go get wood and get started but my husband shot me down. He doesn't want to start on this until sometime this week. Tomorrow is May 1st. That doesn't leave us much time! (can you sense a small amount of panic?)

It seems that in these last couple of months here, we're going to be dropping some dough on this place. New AC to be installed Tuesday: $4500. New hand/guardrails on front and back deck: in the neighborhood of $300-500. New tub and surround: $300. New flooring in two baths and the kitchen: $275. Miscellaneous paint and fillers: not sure. Depending on what I may or may not be able to do about the floors, I might leave them as they are. All I can say is, we'd better get pretty close to our asking price on the house!

1 comment:

Alice in Wonderbread said...

It will pay off. If you didn't attend to these details, the realtor representing your buyer will rake you over the coals in negotiations.