Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Idol Chatter

Having never seen a finale for the American Idol, I don't know if what I was seeing tonight was unusual for them or not. It was kind of a big, bring-everyone-back and throw in a few guest stars (Burt Bacharach, Dionne Warwick - no longer with the Psychic Friends, I gather, and Prince) number. They also had a few audition "flashbacks" and brought the people in those "categories" onto the show to sing. The Brokenote Mountain boys were truly awful, and the kid who loved Clay Aiken was marvelous. Couldn't sing worth beans, but he was a true fan. He gave it his best and nearly passed out when his hero Aiken joined him on stage. That was probably the biggest moment of his life. I felt kind of happy for him and a little chagrined for Clay. He carried on like a trouper, but you could tell he was wondering what exactly he should say to this guy. Freaky fans can't be much fun...

Anyway - the new American Idol is.... Taylor Hicks! Big surprise there (being sarcastic). I actually like him, but find his constant hyped up jumping around a little nerve-wracking. I liked Katherine McPhee, but honestly, she's kind of like a Stepford Performer. She did enough right, had a beautiful voice, but I started wondering if there was anyone in there running the controls.

My favorite was Paris Bennett and it sure was nice seeing her again tonight. Young, but man, could that girl sing and work the stage! Unfortunately, she sounds just like Betty Boop when she's not singing, which kind of re-inforced the fact that she was really young. Fortunately for her, she wowed a lot of people in the business so I would guess that a career in show business isn't a far-fetched idea for her. She just needs to grow up a little bit more.

I'm not an AI virgin anymore. I got hooked; I rooted for people; I watched the finale. The one thing I never did was vote. So, actually - I never did go all the way....

4 comments:

Alice in Wonderbread said...

I loved it when Clay Aiken fan saw Clay behind him. What an honest joy. My second favorite moment, second only to watching Prince. The Artist is so so so bleedin' PERFECT. In terms of his art, I mean.

Sayre said...

I missed the first 15 minutes, so I also apparently missed Meatloaf. Oddly enough, I always liked him. From reading other blogs, he's apparently really trimmed down and doesn't look much like himself anymore - but I have always liked his music. I should go find me a "Bat Out of Hell" CD!

Alice in Wonderbread said...

Be very very glad you missed Meat Loaf's 'performance'.

I love the guy too. But he was so embarrassingly off key and unable to keep the tune I had to cover my head with a blanket.

Janet said...

It works now yes! I like to state the obvious:)

Although you had never seen Idol before, your one night assessment is pretty dead on. Now if only you had followed all along, imagine how hooked you would be!:)