Thursday, July 20, 2006

Deep Sea


Wow.

I mean, wow.

Today I picked Z-boy up from camp because dear husband was dancing attendance to his own parents (Pop's surgeries and Bubbe's possible heart attack yesterday, which turned out to be a bacterial infection). When I asked what he wanted to do this afternoon, he led me across the park to the Challenger Learning Center/IMAX Theatre/Planetarium and pointed to the poster for "Deep Sea", which is playing at the IMAX. I've never been to an IMAX theatre (yes, I know - still clinging to last century) so I agreed that we could go see it.

The theatre is very steep and wide, so we climbed up to the top row and sat near the middle. It was beautiful! Z-boy started leaning on my arm, then squirmed under it, and before I knew it, he was sitting in my lap like a very small child. I had to keep craning my neck to see around him, but I didn't remove him from my lap.

The ocean, while beautiful, has always scared me. I love swimming in pools but feel very uneasy in wild water. It's an alien world and this film pointed out to me just how alien. Fascinating from the seat of a theatre, utterly terrifying when in the midst of it. The squid and the grouper nearly did Z-boy in, but he was a trouper and sat through the entire thing. And we're BOTH in love with the manta shrimp. What a charming little character!

Next week, we're going to go back to see the Planetarium and watch "Cardboard Rocket".

1 comment:

BlondeBlogger said...

That sounds like so much fun, Sayre!! I wish I'd been there!

By the way, I tagged you today. :)