Tuesday, September 12, 2006

And now we wait...

WARNING: If you are the least bit squeamish, stop reading now...

Okay... If anyone is left, I'm going to tell you about today's blood test.

I went to my doctor last week, my regular check for my cholesterol medication. Because I haven't been losing much weight, the office called me on Friday and asked me to get my blood tested for Diabetes.

"Oh fun!" I think to myself. That marvelous disease that untreated can rob you of your eyesight, make healing harder, and sometimes cost you a part of your body is a possibility for me!!! A friend of mine, with long-term diabetes just lost a foot. My step-grandmother's brother lost his legs bit by bit, starting with toes, then feet, then below the shin, then mid-thigh, then groin. He died shortly thereafter. My father-in-law has diabetes. He takes insulin daily and his skin is mottled by bruises. Yup. Diabetes - the glamorous disesase.

I was sick on Monday, so this morning I went by my doctor's office for paperwork, then to the lab for the blood draw.

They got me in quickly, sat me down in one of those chairs with long armrests and wrapped a rubber tourniquet around my left arm (that one being the best on me for getting blood out of). I clenched and unclenched my fist to raise a vein and the nurse palpatated the crook of my elbow to get just the right spot. She inserted the needle and blood shot to the back of the tube... then stopped. Very strange. So she poked around looking for another spot. Nothing. More poking (this is poking using the the needle IN MY ARM). More nothing. One more try for a smallish vein way over on the side (we are still in the initial hole!). Eureka!!!! Then the armrest broke off the chair. The needle came out and blood gushed everywhere. She slapped a cotton ball and tape on it right quick, quietly swearing mild swear words (Crap, crap, oh crap!) under her breath. She apologized profusely for the language, the chair, and not getting my blood.

So we tried the other arm. Nothing. Not even a blush of red in the needle. I clenched and unclenched furiously. Nothing. After much poking around, which included hitting a couple of nerves that HURT, she pulled the needle out again and looked at me. "Where you keeping all your blood, girl? 'Cause it sure ain't in yo' arms!" I stopped clenching and a nice vein popped up on the back of my hand. "Can you use that?" "Do you mind?" "Heck no, just poke me somewhere you can get blood out of me!"

The needle went in and it still took two stabs to get it. I must have roll-y veins. But we finally got our tiny vial of blood. She stuck cotton and tape at all the needle sites and I looked a little like a straight-jacketed bunny rabbit. And felt like a pin-cushion.

My arms are still sore. Tomorrow I will look like a junkie. I don't know when the test results will be back.

8 comments:

Robbiegirl said...

Yowch!!

Last blood test I had bruised the hell out of my arm, but nothing so bad as yours!

And mine said I do have diabetes. It's not so bad though, no insulin or anything.

Sayre said...

Wow - that's good, Anna... I'm hoping, of course, for a negative result, but if it's positive, I may be knocking at your door (figuratively) for some tips!

Mel said...

Yipe.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a happy result.

Anonymous said...

wow poor you ...That sucks.
glad they finally got some and best wishes for great results.

Anonymous said...

Drawing blood is clearly a lost art. I have veins like garden hoses in my arms, and Army medics still have trouble hitting them. Should be like tossing a stick down a hallway, but it never is.

I'll be thinking about you, Sis. Good luck on the diabetes...

John

Anonymous said...

were you shooting heroin again?!? shame on you! hope your test results are negative.

Sayre said...

Normally, these people are absolutely wonderful with the needle. You never even feel the thing going in (though I always watch - I hate flinching at that little prick). I'm just glad it was one little tube and not the multiple tubes they normally take!

The bruises aren't as bad as I feared, but my arms are STILL sore. I just look like a practiced junkie rather than a newbie. Darn heroin. Guess I won't win OLTA THAT way!

Robbiegirl said...

Feel free, I'm full of tips!

I was actually pleased when I was diagnosed - it explained why I'd been feeling so crappy and once I changed by diet a little and started medication I felt so much better.