Monday, March 12, 2007

The reasons keep piling up..

... for moving away from here. Mornings are relatively quiet and peaceful here. The traffic noise is on-going, but unless there's a siren involved or giant exhaust pipes, it's a quiet shush-shush noise, somewhat reminescent of waves coming in on a beach (at least that's what I tell myself to keep my sanity).

This past week has been lovely. Spring break and the students were GONE. No wild parties next door, no screaming tires or calls for Olga to speak Hungarian to anyone. The police all breathed a sigh of relief for the past week since we are NOT a spring break destination. But last night around 10, the Party Boys came home. Nothing big. Loud talking in the driveway as whoever was dropping them off rehashed their adventures one more time, but that was it.

Until this morning.

I went out to get my newspaper. This is what my neighborhood looks like in the morning:

IMG_1959 IMG_1960
My house (yes, Kate - the Christmas lights are still up). The house across the street.

IMG_1961 IMG_1962
The house next door. So cool to be wasted....

In other news, Misha killed her first bird today.
IMG_1958
Tottie was showing great interest in going out on the back deck, and when I opened the door for her, realized that Misha was wrestling a baby bird. I went and grabbed her but she wouldn't let go. She did hold still long enough for me to ascertain that the bird was a goner anyway, so I let her go. It is a sad fact that cats are hunters. Sometimes it is to our advantage (rats and mice!), but they are equal opportunity predators, and birds are just so darned-much-fun. All the cats are belled, but apparently this baby didn't really understand what that lovely noise was. Sigh.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't think people actually TP'd houses anymore! Pretty wild. Glad it has calmed down for you now.

What a cute kitty. Sometimes it is hard to reconcile the hunters inside them when they are so sweet. But, like you said, such is their nature and a vital part of them, none-the-less.

Thanks for stopping by! I love your blog template!

Nikki said...

Sayre, I didn't realize you lived next door when I TP'd that house.

My bad.

Anonymous said...

I was going to tell you that I thought you might want to investigate NIKKI on the toilet paper mess...it has her "written " all over it...but since she has already confessed...all I can say is ...

Book 'em Danno!!!!!!!!!!

Sayre said...

They got it cleaned up pretty quickly. I was impressed. Nikki - if you keep making messes like that, you can't come swim at the new house. Quinn - did you bring your cuffs?

Momish - thanks! It's a blogger template - I'm hopeless with computer stuff.

Anonymous said...

so, if you ever run out of toilet paper......

Anonymous said...

Actually, I had a friend whose father was so cheap, he would make his kids clean up the yard after such an event and they would keep a sack of it in the bathroom. True story.

Liane Michel said...

I know it's sad, but it's a proud moment for me to see my former baby reach a developmental milestone!