Tuesday, May 01, 2007

And God said... "No more doughnuts!"

Sunday morning. New house. Party that afternoon.

Darling Man has stopped by Krispy Kreme on his way home from work and I am standing on my new back deck in my nightgown enjoying the sticky, chocolate covered confection when I decided to take a step forward...

And fall off the deck.

I landed hard on both knees before pitching forward and landing on my built-in, upperbody pillows. They hurt like hell, but recovered quickly. The knees? Not so good. I don't think anything is broken, but bruised severely.

I spent all of yesterday with my feet up and ice bags across my knees and on my left ankle, which re-sprained while compensating for the bum knees. They're getting better. I'm walking with a cane at the moment, but hopefully will be off it tomorrow.

And I am desperately hoping to be back online tonight. For the last few days, my computer has been sitting forlornly in a box on the floor of the spare bedroom, while I scoured Goodwills for a replacement desk. I found one, but it's still in the garage since I can't move the thing right now. Darling Man will have to either do it or help me do it.

That hot tub is definitely coming in handy. I don't know how anyone moves house without one.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back but hate it that your knees are trashed. As a former coach,I can tell you that you can't ice down things too much.

Stepping Over the Junk said...

Oh my gosh, I just did two things like that, I tripped off a curb, while holding my 4 year old (which was a stupid idea, she is too big) and then I tripped and slipped on the kitchen floor and fell like a 5 year old splat. I still hurt.

Anonymous said...

ooooh ouch sorry to hear about the boo boo...hope you feel better soon.

The first night in our new house I tripped going out on our little walk way from the front door. I fell down onto my knees and I know it freakin hurts.

We eventually changed the way the walk went and took out that little step.

JR said...

I swear our family must be cursed...

apricoco said...

ouch! I am glad to see you back to the blog, but I am not glad to see it is because you are hurt and can't do stuff... I hope your knees get better soon!

Alice in Wonderbread said...

ow ow ow ow ow OW!!!

Be good to your knees. I'm glad you're icing. Please keep doing so. Ibuprofen will also help in 600mg - 800mg increments to keep down the swelling.

When I tore my ACL and meniscus tissue while hiking on vacation the dude in Ireland in ER said I'd heal in 2 weeks. It did not happen. I was still in pain after 2 weeks, and the MRI one month later showed I required surgery. Lesson: get an MRI; yes they are expensive but if the pain lasts longer than 2 weeks you could have done damage which if left unattended may stop you from doing physical things you love.

Take care, and know you and your knees are fixable, even in the worst case scenario. My reconstructed knee, after surgery and nine months of intensive physical therapy, is now stronger than my natural one. I love USA medicine!

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon! I will keep all the "Grace is not you middle name" jokes to myself. Magical Mailman should be making a delivery!

Patience said...

Ow-eeeeech!!!! You Poor Thang!!

And the indignity of it all!!

I hope you're alright other than bruised knees. (And while you're healing, milk it for all it's worth and get everyone to wait on you hand and foot!)

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your fall.
I hope you are better soon.

Stef

Me said...

Good to see you back but sorry about the knees.
Hope you get better soon:)

Cathy said...

Well I see your new house is breaking you in nicely. :P

You poor thing, I hope your knees recover soon and that you aren't all stiff and sore from your fall.

Get better soon and once you are settled in and back online.. I tagged you for a meme. *runs and hides before something is thrown at me* :D

Pendullum said...

Ouch...
Did you finish the doughnut before the fall??

Christina_the_wench said...

OMG girl! LMAO. Sorry. No laughing. *snickers*

Pass me a Krispy Kreme, will you? I'll get you another ice pack.

Me said...

Sayre, hope your knee is feeling better and I want a hot tub too!
and a krispy kreme or maybe a dunkin donut eclair maybe.
yummm,,
And I have seen your thinner pics, you look hotter than rene z

Janet said...

Wow! That's scary. At first I thought you meant the deck caved in. I guess the silver lining is that didn't happen. Getting used to your new house comes with a lot of adjustments, doesn't it?

Hope you feel better soon!

Knock knock - it's cancer! said...

Oh dear. Hope you're not hurt too bad. Glad to see you're up and about online again though.