Tuesday, November 04, 2008


I was busily working away in my office yesterday when the phone rang. It was about 4:30 and I was thinking of wrapping things up anyway, so I answered the phone thinking it was DM or ZBoy asking when I was coming home and if I could pick up ________ (milk/dogfood/pizza/beer/an onion) on my way.

It wasn't them.

It was my best friend, god-mother to my son, in tears. She was babbling something, crying, and saying numbers. She sounded drunk, honestly. Which would have been really weird because I knew she was home with a sick child. My friend likes a beer now and then but she is also ultra responsible when it comes to her kids and I know she would not be drunk in the middle of the day like that.

After having her repeat herself a couple of times, I managed to figure out that she had passed out, fallen, and taken a serious whack to the head. She requested that I come and not to call 911 or an ambulance. I knew that given the time of day I would never get there faster than 45 minutes and probably longer, so I told her I would send DM over. He was home with ZBoy and they could get there in 15 minutes or less. After asking DM and him saying yes, I called her back to tell her, then got in my car and headed her way.

Twenty minutes later, DM called to say he'd arrived, that K was making sense now and that her husband had arrived (she hadn't been able to get ahold of him, the nonsensical numbers she'd been saying on the phone turned out to be his phone number). After talking to K, who assured me that everything would be okay now, I uneasily hung up and headed for my house instead.

But I was pissed. One does not take a whack on the head lightly - especially when what you whacked it on was a concrete floor. Her husband should have packed her up and taken her to the hospital to be checked out. Instead he talked her out of it and made her stay awake when all she really wanted to do was sleep.

I called her later and she related this to me. I told her the staying awake part was legitimate, but that she should have gone to the doctor. After she told me that she'd actually passed out twice, first in the bathroom and waking up on the floor, then violently vomiting, only to do it all again a few minute later, I insisted that if she didn't go tonight that she was going to go tomorrow.

This morning she called. She's got an appointment this afternoon - which she got AFTER the nurse yelled at her for not getting looked at last night. I'm going to drive her. If she's passing out like that, she has no business behind the wheel of a car. I'll update later.


Jennfactor 10 said...

I'll be sending good thoughts your way today...

Jan said...

Too scary. I'm glad you're going with her, probably a better choice that that hubs of hers.

PinkPiddyPaws said...

Holy geez. He talked her OUT of going to the doctor? that's really scary. Passing out plus vomiting.. not good!!

I hope she's okay!

Ari_1965 said...

Ooh, I'm glad she's seeing the doctor. Best wishes to her. You're a good friend.

Anna said...

Stupid man.

Hospital = good (in this situation).

Not saying that this was his motivation here, but just thought I'd mention that I think the US pay-for-any-kind-of-healthcare system sucks, because I guess at least some people don't get medical attention they actually need because they don't want to/can't afford to spend the money.

Anna said...

Oh yeah, and I hope she's okay!

Anonymous said...

I always throw up if I pass out. The two just go together. My mom did it too.
Sometimes I will throw up without passing out, but it is rare.
M3 talked me out of the ER visit once when I was raving with a fever and he asked if I wanted to go to the doctor and I cussed him out! The girls had to talk him into taking me. They told me years later that it was the language I used that convinced them that I was raving!

Mrs. Really Long Name said...

How's she feeling???

karisma said...

Goodness, even I would go to the hospital for something like that! I hope she is okay!