Thursday, December 18, 2008

Do I care what you think?

One of the blogs I visit on a near-daily basis is Ask and Ye Shall Receive. My friend Pink Piddy Paws was reviewed there and sent me the link.

Ask and Ye Shall Receive seems on the surface to be a somewhat mean-spirited review blog (check out the URL), but once you get past some of the language, these people really do a good job of pointing out what's right and what's wrong with the blogs they review. They love well-written, well-thought out blogs and bemoan drivel, pointlessness, and plagarism.

I have become hooked on this website. I even dared to submit my own blog for review, though it hasn't happened yet. I have a feeling these folks may be a bit swamped because everyone wants to know how they're doing.

But do I really CARE what other people think?

I do like it when I have visitors and comments, but even if no one ever read this blog, I would still write it. Just like I write novels people may never read, I write this blog for myself and for my son who will one day perhaps need a way to connect with his mother.

I've found a few blogs through Ask and Ye Shall Receive that have become daily reads for me - and I dared comment on The Meanest Mom's blog review today. I mentioned that I was a lurker and started out that way waiting for my own blog to be reviewed. And some person named "Bobby" told me to stop lurking because he's seen my blog and it sucked.

Whoa! It was a bit of a shock, actually. Perhaps because the Christmas spirit was finally settling in or because since Fun Monday's post, I'd been spending a lot of time thinking about kindness and strangers and how cool random kindnesses are - and then out of the blue there's this person being a bit rude and nasty in response to a positive comment I made about a blog being reviewed.

I was a little taken aback.

I guess I've been lucky so far. I've been doing this for three years and have never run into a mean or rude person in my blog visits. When my husband tried blogging, he gave it up because he was continually running into people like that.

But all this got me thinking - do I really care what other people think about my blog? People I don't know?

No. I don't.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I don't have to agree with it. Or care about it for that matter. Not every blog will be everyone's cup of tea. There are lots of blogs I don't read because I lost interest, didn't care about or for the content, or the thing was riddled with so many spelling errors and grammatical faux pauxs that reading it was a chore. And I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't read mine because they don't care about kids, dogs, fixing houses or any of the other things I write about.

And that's okay.

12 comments:

Island Rider said...

Keep writing. There are those of us who find your thoughts intersting and well put. Forget the rude guy. Being anonoymous gives some people an inflated sense of power.

Anonymous said...

Good for you!! :-)


Did you get my note? You're all set for Fun Monday on 12/29... I'll post your link when you put up the theme!

Thanks again for volunteering...

Sandcastle Momma said...

I think the fact that you blog for you is one of the reasons I enjoy your blog. You're honest and real and interesting. And you're from Florida which automatically gets you extra points LOL

karisma said...

Well I for one, LOVE your blog! If I did not I simply would not come back! I don't see how one persons review/opinion matters over the majority of your friends who come here and know you for the lovely lady you are. I guess I like your blog not just because you are a brilliant writer, which you are, but because you wary your posts to your moods, feelings and life at the time. Thats what I call a real blog! If you are constantly trying to impress someone your not being real are you? Personally I visit blogs because I have gotten to know the author a little and love them.

Hugs xxxx Please do not change a thing!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry "Whatzit'sname". Suggest the advice us old DJ's used when listeners called to complain about a record. " Two knobs on that thing lady, one turns it off, the other changes the stations. Use one of 'em". I love your blog, some days more than others. Keep on typing and confusion to the enemy!
Dad

Anonymous said...

As a fairly new blogger, I've *knock wood* only received positive and helpful comments so far. But I am sure a troll or two will pop up at some point.

I started blogging so that I could practice my writing, and in hopes of conversing with the intelligent, witty, savvy women whose writing I enjoy (you are included there). But a blog is, by definition, one's own personal forum; thus, you are right in saying "who cares" to the negativity. I hope I can do the same if/when I need to.

Dani said...

How rude!!
I'm a lurker on your sight, but I wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

I write for amusement. I don't care what other people say. I'm not here to write heart wrenching, deep emothional posts. In fact when I do, no one comments.

Tell "what's his nuts" to shove it. We love you and I will kick anyone's ass who tells you to stop.

PinkPiddyPaws said...

heh.heh..heh.. don't worry Sayre.. you just sit back and let ME take care of that little pecker head. I have a way with underdeveloped troglodytes like this "Bobby" and he'll be whimpering for his Mommy and hiding under his keyboard by the time I'm done with him. Ahhhh... I LOVE this stuff.. :)

Now, that being said, you really can't take anything those folks say with any kind of seriousness. Just laugh at Bobby, think "how pathetic" and move right along with your happy little self.

Mwah!!!
xoxoxoxoxo

p.s. -- get that Christmas Cheer package yet? ;)

Ari_1965 said...

Bobby's probably age 13 and practically bathes in Clearasil.

the planet of janet said...

i think bobby got told anyway.

you go, girl

Anonymous said...

Sayre,

I think you have exactly the right attitude. As you know, we got reviewed over at AAYSR but what I really wanted from it was actual hints as to how to make our blog better and easier to navigate. I never for one minute thought they would like Hags, but that wasn't really important to us.

I think good blogging is all about what makes you happy. As long as you're writing for yourself you can't go wrong.

And I, for one, like what you're doing as well... not that that matters in the least. :)