Friday, April 03, 2009

Auntie Em! Auntie Em!

I took Thursday off from work. It's spring break here and Darling Man and I have been working some wacky schedules to accomodate taking care of the ZBoy. Thursday was a good day to take off because the server for my particular area of work was dying. The new one arrived but would take all day to transfer data and install, so the timing was good.

It was a stormy day. We were under a tornado watch for much of it. There was one point on Thursday evening when I was just sitting on the couch and watching the wind and the rain pounding my backyard. Mesmerizing...

Friday morning rolls around and Darling Man calls me from work - there is no power to our building. So it was a fairly lazy morning for me. I finally pulled it together, packed up the Z and we went to get lunch for ourselves and to take to DM.

There was lots of debris in the road and along the sides as we made our way across town. We got our Larry's subs and headed for the office. As I rounded the pond behind the engineering building, I noticed lots of activity on the golf course. Rather bizarre business going on there...

Golf Course stubs

It looked a bit like a big plane had flown in too low and snapped the trees off between 6 and 10 feet off the ground.

Rounding the bend, I spotted more trees down.

Alumni village

As I pulled into the driveway at work, I saw LOTS of trees, tops twisted off or blown over.
(You can click on the pictures to make them bigger.)

Big Tree down in front IMG_0086 Twisted wood 2
It was rather impressive actually.

Big tree Twisted wood Uprooted

After walking around and looking, I realized that a small, weak tornado had passed over. You could actually follow the path by following the broken trees. It must have only just missed our building as all the damage seemed to be to trees.

Snapped Twist-off tops

The neighborhood behind the station was a mess too, one house having a tree coming down on top of it.

While the storm didn't seem to touch our building, there was still a mess inside. My computer was a casualty of the storm. When I tried to boot it, I got the black- screen-of-bad-news. A power surge had killed my operating system.

I love the IT guys. They are on top of things, so Ron brought the OS CD to my office and reloaded.... it then began a loop of shutting down and restarting. Yes. The brains were fried.

Exasperated Ron

After messing with it a bit more, Ron pulled the whole thing out. He's finding me another computer and he'll try to recover as much from the old one as possible.

In the meantime, I worked a few hours in Master Control on their computer, and I'll be trying to make up for a mostly missed day over the weekend.

Still - quite exciting!!! I'll have to tell you other tornado stories another day.

8 comments:

Florida Beach Basics said...

how scary - glad you're ok and that work will eventually be ok. meanwhile, keep smiling! marge

Jodi said...

Oooh. Tornadoes are scary. I'm glad you're all okay. Sounds like an exciting day.

J.

Unknown said...

Oh my! Glad you're safe, sad for your computer and the trees always entertain with the way they show the path of the storms. Scary stuff!

movin down the road said...

omg. tornados scare me!!!

margaret (the misanthrope) said...

Wow!! I am glad you are OK, and that there was no major damage.

P.S. About your question on my FM post: Neither J nor I are from Key West. However, J and his family have been going there for years. I've been going with them since we've been together. I have always loved Florida, and I fell in love with the Keys when I visited the first time. So, when the time came to choose a wedding venue, we decided upon a beach wedding at Fort Zach. (We could've had an outdoor wedding in DC, but it was way too expensive. KW was cheaper because it was hurricane season...hmmm.)

Anyway, it poured rain on our wedding day, and so 1 hour before the ceremony, they moved everything into the actual fortress, on the spot pictured in my header. I liked that much better, since I thought the dark passageways and old stonework were very cool, and they suited my personality much better than the beach did :-)

So there you have it! :-) I need to write a post about it sometime...perhaps for our 2nd anniversary...

Sandcastle Momma said...

That weather came through here as well but we were fortunate and didn't have any tornado damage in our area. The north end of the county saw a couple of little ones but their major problem has been flooding.
I don't like tornados but I love to see the trees that show where they've been. Your pictures are great!

Patience said...

I too love the IT guys! They're all a strange bunch, IT guys. They live in a different world than the rest of us. But they make my life much easier! (and they're soooooo smart!)

nikki said...

Tornados scare the crap out of me....