A couple of days ago, we were bitching about the funeral home carpeting in the house again. It's been on the to-do list since we moved in. It matched the gray/green color on the walls, which I've managed to eradicate everywhere but the master closet. But the carpet was a daunting project and other than doing the diningroom, we've put it off and put it off.
Thursday, I came home and Darling Man had ripped out all the carpet in the upstairs hallway and down the stairs.
After I got the baseboards off, I started pulling nails out of the subfloor boards we were going to replace. THAT was a job! I finally got all the nails out after about an hour and a half and pulled out one of the smaller boards.
Rather than joists and an open hole, I discovered that the subfloor is on top of another subfloor with some kind of felting in between. Which is actually very good news. That means this house was very solidly built and isn't going to blow away anytime soon!
The stairs are VERY squeaky, and those will be my special project once the flooring (and the new paint job we decided we needed) is done. Believe me - no one is going to be able to sneak up or down the stairs - not even the cats - at least for a while.