Sunday, March 14, 2010

Replacing a floor is complicated

Once you decide to replace a floor, a whole new world of issues opens up. We pulled out the carpet and fixed the subfloor. Because the new floor is going to be a floating floor, we had to take the baseboards out so we could put them back after the floor went in. And we removed a very rickety banister. After removing the support from the wall, I discovered some pretty big holes.

It's never as easy as you think it's going to be, is it? Of course it had to be patched.

I love this joint compound. It goes on pink and when it's completely dry, it's white! The deeper holes take a while to dry. Sanding them is gonna have to wait until tomorrow.

These holes were behind the baseboard. I just taped them and filled the. I'll give them a light sand, but these will be covered by baseboard again, so I'm not going to stess about making them perfect.

All that patching took time, so I didn't get the hallway completely painted like I'd planned, but I did get the ceiling painted and I got the cutting in done. In these pictures, the green that it's going to be looks kind of scary, but it's the same color I painted my family room. It really doesn't look that neon green in real life!

No comments: