Monday, April 05, 2010

Fun Monday - Staying Dry

Gattina is our host for this week and wants to know:

Do you use an umbrella against the rain or too much sunshine ? Even if you don't you certainly have at least one in your house I suppose. Take a picture and show us the one or once you use (or not)

Living in Florida, we have lots of sunshine. What you don't know is that usually, we also have lots of rain. When I was growing up, you could count on a half-hour rainshower between 2 and 5 every afternoon. It is not like that now. These days the climate is different. We had nearly 20 years of drought, where most of our rains seemed to come in the form of hurricanes. The rest of the time, there wasn't much. Things seem to be settling down again. We still don't see the daily shower, but at least once a week, we seem to get a pretty good rainstorm...


These are our umbrellas. For a while there, we were buying one-use umbrellas (cheap), and once I bought a fancy, enormous golf umbrella - but they broke or disappeared. For some reason, these two have stuck around for several years.



I rather like them. They have a little personality; they are sturdy; and they fit into my very large purse! There used to be a yellow one too, but that one disappeared shortly after we got it.

FUN MONDAY UPDATE
Last week, we were wondering if Fun Monday was going to fade away to nothing. After asking participants, the consensus was to continue, but to go back to its roots - making FM a mostly photo post and... FUN! So for now, we shall continue - but we need volunteers to host! Please, if you play, host from time to time... otherwise, Fun Monday will become just like every other Monday.

Sign up with the host of the week. I keep a place in the sidebar that tells who is hosting and what the topic is, so if you're ever lost, feel free to visit and check out my sidebar!









14 comments:

min said...

What a great weapon that beak would be!!

Living Life said...

Your umbrellas are just "ducky". I have collected about 10 or so umbrellas over the years. I may try to put my post up later.

joanygee said...

I love the characterful handles on your brollies!

Jan n Jer said...

How cute n they look very sturdy. I really don't have a decent umbrella...the one big black one lives in the trunk of my car which really is not handy when I need it when raining. Thanks for sharing Sayre...let FM live on!(fingers crossed)

Faye said...

Now you've got me wondering about the origins for duck head umbrellas. Personally I love rainy days--that's good weather to me. Go for a hood or poncho though for dog walking.

Am curious to see what happens with Fun Monday. Must brush up on photography skills if it's going to be more in that direction. :-)

Gattina said...

Your umbrellas are sooooo cute ! I have never seen such ! I would buy one immediately even more if it had a cat head ! I am happily surprised what nice and funny stories come up with this simple question, lol !

Pamela said...

quack ~! I want a duck umbrella!
I guess they wouldn't help much in a hurricane, hey? ha ha.

Jodi said...

I like the duck umbrellas! Very cute!

j.

Jill said...

Thanks for saying who is hosting. Chrisb used to do it, but I noticed she stopped. I'm out for this week, too much going on..

Anonymous said...

How cute those umbrellas are...well at least the handle parts. I have never seen one like that. And yes, mine are never there when I need them as well :) Have a great week ahead :)

Jan said...

Love the duck handle umbrellas. I'm going to host next week.

Swampy said...

Quack ! Quack ! Quack !
A combination umbrella/weapon.
Love it.

gayle said...

Those are cute ones!!

Liane Michel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.