Thursday, May 06, 2010

Time Passes

A friend of mine on Facebook is taking her daughter to kindergarten orientation today. And she's shocked at how quickly time has gone by. I have some bad news for her... it's going to start speeding up now. The world will soon turn much too quickly to suit her needs as a mother as she helplessly watches her child grow into this new world. Can't it be slowed or stopped - just for a few more hugs, a few more snuggles, a few more bedtime stories?



I speak from experience - it won't stop. The world will keep turning and won't stop for you - so you need to savor every moment of your time with that child because that child won't stop either.

This past week, my boy turned eleven. And I thought ten was a shock. I can only imagine what twelve and thirteen will bring. These days are arriving and leaving so fast now. ZBoy has more grown up tastes. When asked what he wanted for dinner on his birthday, he said chinese food! And not just the stuff at the buffet, but the custom cooked stuff that he gets to pick out raw and take to the chef!



He enjoys his birthday cards now. He used to open them just to see who gave him a present. Now he actually reads them - and laughs!

I had a really hard time buying him a present this year. He's almost done with toys; he's got his own taste in books and music which he doesn't always share with me. In fact, about the only thing I can think of that will guarantee a smile is Star Wars stuff. He's still a kid that way!



For a somewhat subdued birthday, he had a good time.


He got a mini-cake from Wal-Mart on his day (it was really, really good - Darling Man is still raving about it) and blew out all his candles from that distance. I hope it was a good wish.
Last weekend, we had a cookout and cake and ice cream with all the grandparents. I made that cake, which was also raved about and mourned when it was gone. Darling Man grilled hamburgers and hotdogs and it was a wonderful afternoon.
In a couple of weeks, when the pool is ready, we'll do it again for his friends. Another cookout, another cake and swimming - but no presents. We all agreed that he didn't need any more stuff - that the pleasure of his friends' company was gift enough.
I hope he got his wish - I know I got mine. A good boy. A caring boy. A loving, healthy, strong boy.
The only part I didn't get was the one where the world stands still so that I can keep that boy in this moment for a while. Time keeps passing.

12 comments:

Jan said...

Happy Birthday, Z-Boy. Such a joy.

Karmyn R said...

I can testify to the growing fast!!

and Happy Birthday Z-boy.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Z.

Jan n Jer said...

Wait until you reach my age...the years go by like days. I savor my time with family and grans. Still have two little grans that love to come to grandma's house. The two older ones thinks its boring. Your right Sayre...enjoy each moment you have with your boy..they grow up too darn fast. Happy B.day ZBoy!

PinkPiddyPaws said...

Oh my gosh, I know JUST how you feel!! They start off so small and sweet, practically fitting in the palm of your hand. So much is ahead of them. And then, they get older and bigger. Their color changes, they darken with maturity. Their likes/dislikes change. The no longer want to snuggle in your lap, they want their own bed. They turn their noses up at old favorite toys and want new/fancy/taller toys. And don't even get me started on the day I caught her in the catnip. Oh man, we really crossed a threshold that day!

Yeah, my kitty sure is growing up fast. ;)

Oh, and happy bday to Zboy. :D

Jodi said...

Happy Birthday Z-boy! Congratulations, Mom. You made it one more year!


J.

Redneck Rebels Geocaching Adventures said...

Happy Birthday Z-Boy!
I'm always amazed at how fast they grow. I look at my 16 year old and think 'I just brought her home from the hospital a month ago - how did 16 years go by in a month' LOL
I'm not on Facebook yet but hope to get there soon. I'll let you know as soon as I do!

Sandcastle Momma said...

I have no idea why Blogger is suddenly using an old account of mine but the comment from a minute ago is from me.

Sandy said...

Happy Birthday, Z-boy!

Liane Michel said...

Happy belated b-day Z. I can't believe he is that old! And happy anniversary to you guys! Much love!!

Debs said...

Happy Bday Z-boy.

Don't worry I don't think many boys or men outgrow anything with Star Wars or Star Trek. LOL

In July Thing 1 and Thing 2 will have their birthdays. Thing 1 turning 16 and Thing 2 turning 14. OUCH. I always have mixed emotions on their birthdays. Proud they are growing into great kids, but they are not babies. I keep saying...You will always be my babies no matter your age. LOL
Time Flies by when you having fun and raising kids.

Pamela said...

Then it's the grandkids growing too fast