Monday, September 13, 2010

Fun Monday - The Eyes Have it

This week, I had another topic picked out for Fun Monday - your own personal heartthob who would make you change your life to be with - but somewhere between the time I originally posted that and this week, I decided I wanted to go in a different direction.

This post is about love. Love for yourself inspite of what you perceive of as physical flaws. I've had the advantage of already reading other posts about this so far and I'm impressed with the variety of body parts that, while not perfect, are treasured by their owners. The list of participants will be at the bottom of this post in case you want to check it out for yourself!

I'm not going to kid you. I pretty much hate the way I look. I'm too fat. I have a lot of scars. My skin is usually some shade of red - even worse when I get hot or am exercising to the point that onlookers become very concerned. My once luxuriant hair is thinning on top and making me consider adding a hairpiece to my arsenal of beauty products (you know, the ones I don't use very often because it's so much work). Despite various efforts to improve the shell, things don't look so good.

It was with this mindset that I decided it was time to figure out a way to love my body in spite of its rather obvious shortcomings. I am very grateful to be blessed with a sharp mind and a firm grasp on reality with a healthy dose of imagination and fantasy thrown in. My arms and legs work even if they are somewhat stiff with arthritis. My heart beats firmly and my lungs inflate and deflate on a regular basis. And I love that. As long as all those things work, there is the possibility of improvement.

But I do have one feature that stands out. I come from a very large family - and they ALL have blue eyes. They are different in all of us, but have the ability to express or hide what's going on inside.


Sometimes, they are turned inward, examining the self and hiding the person from the viewer.


Sometimes they are hard and flat and unfeeling (this expression actually was called up for this particular character but I can do that even when not in character).


Sometimes they just smile and you can see the joy that lives inside.


But I think that this is my favorite picture of all. My son took this one Christmas morning. I'd given him his own camera and he was running around taking pictures. You can't see it, but I'm sitting at my desk in my nightgown. I'm wearing leftover makeup from the day before and my hair isn't combed - but that's not what you see. What you see is a mom looking at her son on Christmas morning and the love that shines out even though she's just been interrupted. I think this picture is the best one and shows who I really am.

Molly
Swampy
FlowersChi
CynicalGirl
Bethany
Jill

Faye (who's sticking to the original topic)

If you want to play, sign up in comments!!!

9 comments:

Faye said...

I too love that last photo of you Sayre. Noticed it when I became a FB friend. Looking closely you can tell that the object of your gaze is someone whom you love very much. Your first photo makes me think of you as a "period" lady--very beautiful.

As to our dissatisfaction with a body that's seen some years, I--like you--am glad that the one I have works well most of the time. Kind of like making sausage--you don't want to see the process but the end product is delicious!

Janis said...

You do have pretty blue eyes...that would be my pick for myself also. I am blessed with baby blue eyes, Sometimes they are so blue that people think I have blue contacts. The rest of me has a lot to be disired. But like you, I am thankful that all my body parts are working ok for now.

Jill said...

Awe, my eyes are just dark brown. I wished for a long time that they were blue. Now everyone compliments my daughter on her BIG brown eyes. That she got from me, naturally. You keep the blue, I'll pass down my plain jane brown peepers to my offspring so they can bat their eyes like crazy! lol! Thanks for hosting!

Anonymous said...

You Have very pretty eyes!

Just like a child to bring out the love in them.

Anonymous said...

Having seen them all, I'd have to say your family has the most AMAZING array of blue eyes! :)

Molly said...

Thank you for keeping Fun Monday alive. I am having fun visiting old friends even though I have been unfaithful. I enjoyed reading everyone's favorite parts.

You do have expressive eyes.

Sign me for next week too.

Liane Michel said...

That pic of you being Sweeny Todd looks exactly like Jerry. Just sayin'

Sayre said...

Thanks, Liane... Actually, Jerry has the most amazing eyes! But I think it's more the expression than anything else that looks like him.

~sWaMpY~ said...

Guess what ? My Mon Funday is up and running...finally !
Whew !