Friday, October 07, 2011

Friday Fist Bump

Last month, I had to reorganize my work life.  I pushed furniture around and brought in a large file cabinet and rearranged piles of paper into folders, notebooks and recycling bins.  The inspiration for this was recent layoffs and taking on some new duties that were the final straw that broke my somewhat haphazard organizational back in my office.

After all the sorting and pushing around and punching of holes, I finally have an office that actually works for me.

The proof was this week when I had to do the 4-times-a-year migraine-inducing headache report on our programming topics.  It's usually a few days of squinting at impossibly tiny print and chasing people in three different locations begging for information on their programs that has to be included in my report. 

This time, I had all my information right there at my fingertips, organized in an easily accessible notebook - information both printed out and saved in the computer (losing information in the computer has been a recurring problem) and my report took a total of 2 hours to complete.  TWO HOURS.  Down from a few days. 

Never underestimate the power of organization.

If you'd like to read more happy endings, go visit Jill at Life Is Not Bubble-wrapped!

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Congrats! I have everything VERY organized in my brain, even how I will go about organizing the piles of stuff in my house. Now if I could just get off my arse and do it!!!!

Jill said...

That's awesome, I'm doing some organizing at home, it was great before Brennan was born, but the last 2 months have gone so far downhill that it's insane! Congrats to you!

joanygee said...

How marvellous, well done!

Faye said...

When I was working I had to be organized for big events like conferences, tours, workshops. But day to day tasks didn't get the same treatment. Several times a year I'd go in to my office on holidays or weekends and do a big clearout and re-organization. What a difference it would make in handling work demands as you've proven. I never got to the point of totally adopting this style of work though. Living on the edge! :-) But I didn't migranes either. Maybe if I had. . .

ari_1965 said...

Sounds very good.
Good job.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for confirming my suspicions, that government is wildly overstaffed and, by laying off one in ten workers, the fear that grips the survivors results in greater productivity. The Romans called this decimation.
Let's Get to Work

Governor Scott