Monday, December 19, 2011

Holiday-Challenged, That's What I Am!

Another day done.  And on this day, I actually managed to accomplish some Christmas-type things.  I wrapped a couple of presents.  Got a few packages in the mail.  Sent off a couple of Christmas cards.

I'm bad at "normal" Christmas.  I never get presents for everyone.  People who get cards from me are rare.  This year I'm actually ahead on that score, but with cards for people who aren't usually even on my list (though a few will become permanent members of my list which is the kiss of death as far as getting future cards from me).  My source for family addresses can barely remember her own, so I have to wait for cards to arrive before I can send them out because once again I have managed to lose my address book.  It's somewhere in my house, probably in a closet or fallen behind  headboard - wherever it is, you can be sure it won't turn up before the holidays are over though (sigh).

Decorating is minimal.  We have some lights wound around the posts on the front porch and an artificial tree in the family room.  It's a far cry from the over-the-top decorating of years past.

Christmas is lean this year.  We're all getting a book.  Honestly, there isn't that much that we want.  At least right now.  Even my son only wants four things:  A book, a chocolate orange, a video game, and a lego set.  He earns his own money and buys what he wants after saving up for it.  I told him he was making it hard to buy presents for him, which is when he came up with his four things.

My parents and hopefully brother Jerry are coming for Christmas dinner.  So are my in-laws and I think (but don't know) my stepson and his family - so I'll have plenty of people to feed around my table. 

I'm going to two services on Christmas Eve, reading at both.  I'm truly looking forward to seeing the church decked out with all the candles lit at night.  The only other service that comes close to that kind of feeling is Epiphany's candlelight service.  It's been so long since I came to this church though, that I don't know if they still do that.  Guess I'll find out come January 6th.

Instead of going shopping, I took the boy and we went caroling.  Instead of grabbing a burger between sales, we're gathering for a simple meal before a roaring fire in the parish hall.  To me - THIS is Christmas.

Really - that is the Christmas I'm looking forward to - the church side, the family gathering side - just spending time with people I love.

If that makes my way of having Christmas unusual or wrong, I don't want to be right.

3 comments:

Faye said...

I admire your determination to make Christmas celebrations meaningful in your own way,Sayre.

R.Powers said...

I used to love those chocolate oranges (or apples) when I was a kid at Christmas.
Enjoy your Christmas!

PinkPiddyPaws said...

Sounds like a perfect Christmas to me. Full of love and loved ones.

xoxoxoxo
Wendy

p.s. -- I got my card! :D