Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wordy Wednesday

We woke up to the blessed sound of rain dripping onto the roof.  Not pounding.  Not the occasional drop, but something a little more than that.  It made getting out of bed much harder this morning, so of course there was a last minute rush to get stuff found, put on, brushed and eaten.  The Boy rarely likes to eat when he first gets up, and lots of mornings he goes to school on Instant Breakfast.  This morning though, he wanted a bagel.  I told him he could eat it in the car.  As we began backing out of the drive, he yelled STOP!  I forgot my book!  He's a reader, that boy.  He is almost never without a book.  I handed him the house key and he ran back in for it.

He dashed through the raindrops, bagel and book in hand and jumped into the car.  Not long ago, he discovered Mark Twain in the form of Tom Sawyer and when he found out that there was another book like that, he was ecstatic.  One of his aunts gave him Huckleberry Finn years ago, but only now is he reading it - thrilled to have found it in his closet!

He's really enjoying it.  Picked it up yesterday and today he's only got about a fourth left to read.  Since they're doing mid-terms today, he knew he'd have some free time to fill so he HAD to have his book!

Not waiting for school, though.  He read all the way there and I had to tell him to put it up before getting out of the car.  It's the last day of school before the holidays, and he's absolutely thrilled about having a break.  I can relate.  I've got the week off between Christmas and New Years and I'm looking forward to the break too.  Sleeping in in the morning, having a lazy breakfast.  Doing whatever I feel like doing for a whole week.  It doesn't get much better than that!  And for Z, that "whatever he feels like doing" is going to include a lot of reading.

2 comments:

PinkPiddyPaws said...

I never travel anywhere w/o my iPad. I use the Kindle app and have tons of books on it. Most of them are even free! I love free books.

If, for some reason, I don't have my iPad, I can use the app on my iPhone but then I'm just desperate because reading on my iPhone is hard. :(

Now, if I could just teach Mr. AP that when I'm reading is NOT the time to start an in depth conversation....sigh...

joanygee said...

Z-boy is an avid reader. Well done to him and to you for the encouragement.