Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thank God It's Over

Well, the mad dash to get the science project done is over. We handed in the "Lab Report" yesterday with all the pertinent information and got up this morning to do the display board. It turned out quite well, I think (forgot to take a picture, dang it). Z happily carted it off to school this morning. The actual Science Fair is somewhere around the end of the month (naughty mommy can't keep track of this stuff!) I think, so I will try to remember to take a picture of it then. Hope everything is still stuck to it by the time the science fair rolls around!

In the lull after the storm, I said to Darling Man, "We really need to emphasize to ZBoy that he needs to START on this stuff when it's assigned and not wait until the last day to get it done."

DM came back with, "But he's gotten A's on everything he's done that way - the black scientist, the indians..."

"But DM, those things weren't necessarily important. When will he ever need to know anything about Cornelia Gillyard or Seneca Indians again? Those are exercises in research and putting together information. Science is something that he'll need to remember - and you can't do that in a mad dash, throw-together presentation!"

DM allowed as I was probably right about that. We'll see how things shake out the next time there's a long term project in the offing...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great for all the A's and getting the project in on time. I can't comment on the waiting until last minute part. I'm still notorious for that.

Liane Michel said...

My kids never begin work on a project or assignment from the get-go no matter how many times I try to explain how much easier it is than waiting until the last minute. If you discover the secret with Zboy, let me know!!

Anonymous said...

Next time he knows dinner is something he loves, put off starting it until it's too late, then explain that, like the science project, you waitied too long, now you can't. The stick to it. He's no fool. He'll get the point.
Ol' Grmp-pa

trkndude299 said...

I'm glad ya'll had fun. I know A's + stuff are important, but I tend to put an emphasis on the process and the struggles on the path to the A.
BTW, it's not uncommon for people to procrastinate. There are many studies about those that function much better under the gun - so to speak.
But, I agree with you + Grmpa. (I like his theory too.) Procrastination is something learned early on and has to be handled with dilligence on your part.

karisma said...

Hmmm I do remember doing my best work under last minute pressure! So really I can't talk! Our theory now is as long as you have fun with it and learn something, who cares?

Me said...

I am so like Zboy. I can't ever start anything till the last minute. You are right - its so not the way to go! But I feel for the zboy :(