Friday, May 02, 2008

My Life is a Mess - At the Office

Remember my "before" pictures?

100_0275


100_0274


100_0276

In a great cloud of fumes, the old green felt squares were removed from the floor, and nice new tan rolled carpet was installed. I had to totally empty my office. Lots of things got shipped out. Lots of paper got recycled. Dishes went home. And there was much reassessment of what I needed to have and what I didn't.

100_0396 100_0397
This is what was left of what I needed. It was plopped back into my office with little ceremony as the carpeters moved on to the next room on the list. It was up to me to sort it all back out and put it all away. I'd gotten rid of the very large long shelf unit and inherited a tall bookshelf. That cut my storage space way down - but then I don't need as much as before either.


100_0401


Mostly put back together. My book case is filled. I have a mostly empty desk on which to deposit my take-home bag, hole-punches and various other things. I can actually get to my printer. My main desk is fairly clear of debris, pencils and pens and rulers and scissors in an actual pencil holder. I still need to hang my picture up and put that box of tapes away in the library, but essentially, I'm done.

100_0402


I took out that little metal table and am making my file cabinet do double duty as a tv stand. I got rid of THREE office chairs. I still have my wooden chair (fondly referred to by the rest of the station as the "electric chair", and a real office chair still in a box that I need to build.

My office is spacious and comfortable, and much more visitor friendly. Usually those two doors are both standing open and people use my office as a pass through. It's how I get to see everyone.

I also replaced my lightbulbs with energy efficient bulbs. They're the daylight kind, which actually doesn't really work in my room - it makes it appear that my office is an aquarium. It's not too bad when the overheads are on though. I think the two different kinds of light balance out. But my boss wants me to get some red-corrected bulbs. He doesn't care for the aquarium look...

There is so much more to do!!! My life is a mess in the pantry, in the kitchen cabinets, in the junk closet and in the garage! But I think I'm going to take a week off and recover from birthday parties, carpeting and various other endeavors. Tune in next week for the next MY LIFE IS A MESS challenge!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

BUT Elvis is still up, and that's all that really matters in the greater scheme of things.

Sayre said...

I'm actually thinking of making an Elvis wall. Printing out my entries for your contests and putting them up on the walls too. What do you think?

Kaytabug said...

Great job on the office!!It looks great!

Anonymous said...

OH GOOD LORD!!

You WOULD initiate a challenge!

karisma said...

Stop it! You are making me look bad! I will console myself with the fact, that while you were charging ahead with the challenge, I was sitting on my backside, in a spa drinking wine!

I think you should put the Elvis poster on the back of the door, it kind of clashes with the trimming on the wall.

SwampAngel65 said...

Looks good! And I'm glad to see that Elvis hasn't "left the building".

I wish I could clean my office like that. My boss (we share the office) is a pask rat of the tackiest things imagineable. I try to keep my area tacky-free and as minimal as possible hoping she will get the hint. But no, I have to stare at dust filled peacock feathers, dust filled stuffed animals and a huge bouquet of dust filled fake flowers (very ugly ones, too) on top of the fridge. Ugh.

Celeste said...

Great job.

I have the daylight bulbs in my house -- it does give a harsh very blue light, but for failing middle-aged eyes, I can read SOOOOoooo much better!

Unknown said...

You go girl! I love your spunk!