Monday, September 08, 2008

Fun Monday - Love Story

Woodland Mama set forth an unusual challenge for us this week: the assignment is to write the 1st paragraph of an unusual love story.

Ha! Piece of cake for me, right?

Well, I have been in the throes of strep throat (doctor appointment today!) and have spent much of my weekend unconscious, tossing and turning while alternately freezing and burning up. It makes for some very interesting dreams...


She was not at all attractive.

He gazed at her and felt a twinge of pity for her ragged appearance. She laid on her back, spread-eagled, eyes wide with shock. If she was still breathing, it was so shallow that it was indiscernible.

He hadn't meant for it to come to this, and with much reluctance, he picked up her body and put it on the roof, intending to return for it later and figure out what to do with it.

Shaking his head, he got into his truck and headed off for work.

Several hours later, he returned to find her body gone. It seemed impossible, and he began looking all around, finally finding her huddled in the dark recesses behind a bush. Her skull shone dully in the waning light where the skin had been pecked off - and her neck bones ground against each other, exposed to air and dirt, the only lubrication a bit of blood.

He had no idea what to do about this situation, but if she lived, he would have great respect for her stamina and will - and do everything within his power to make sure nothing like this ever happened again.


And so begins the story of my father and the Zombie Chicken - which did live. For some reason, the other chickens attacked her, pecking her skull clean and removing much of the skin and feathers down her neck. Zombie Chicken now lives mostly in the enclosure behind the house, sleeping between the garbage cans and tending the chicks.

23 comments:

Woodlandmama said...

Ooh! Good Story. I love zombies!
Thanks for participating!

SwampAngel65 said...

Ok, that IS the beginnings of an unusual love story! I like it! At first I thought, oh poor, Sarah really has been having bad dreams...seeing herself naked on a roof??? But I quickly realized it was a bird of some sort...then the Zombie Chicken! LOL!

Faye said...

Well, I'm still chuckling--Ugly Betty of the chicken world! At least your dad recognized her good qualities and rescued her so she could live to full potential. a lesser man would not have been that loving!

Anonymous said...

AARRGGHH! Strep Throat! You poor darling. I had it once and hoped that a Zombie Chicken would fly in, rescue me, and take me away.
That was one of the worst feelings I've ever had.
Feel better. I'm impressed you felt like posting.

Anonymous said...

I want a zombie chicken!!

Anonymous said...

unusual lovestory! yikes. between a vegetarian and chicken?

Anonymous said...

Nice read! Love your descriptiveness for the little chickies.

Anonymous said...

ZombieChicken appreciates your good wishes, but asks that you respect her privacy now that her comb is beginning to grow back, albeit cockeyed. 'This was a particularly painful period of my life,"she said,"and I hope everyone will respect my need to remain private."

ZC

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Ha! That was great! I love it.

storyteller said...

I’m glad you’re finally getting to see the doctor and hope this helps you recover quickly. Let’s hear it for feverish dreams! I loved your 'clever' take on this challenge. LOL Alas, creativity abandoned me this morning … so I’ve taken a different path today at Small Reflections … just because.
Hugs and blessings,

Jo Beaufoix said...

Hee hee, that was fabulous, and zombie chicken sounds kind of cite in a scary way.

Alison said...

so sorry you are sick...I hope you feel better soon.

This is definitely an unusual love story!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry you're under the weather!

And I just wanna say I think you're been reading too much of Mindy with all that zombie business...

Come to think of it, THAT'S the real love story!!!

karisma said...

LOL! What a lovely story! Hope you are feeling better soon! Hugs xxxx

IamwhoIam said...

I fear the zombie chicken

Anonymous said...

What a great story... and I'm glad it had a happy ending. I was getting worried.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh... poor Mrs. Peck Bottom. She never did show herself while I was there, but then, it was usually daylight and I understand Zombie Chickens prefer the dark. :)

Sorry you are sick and I certainly know the feeling!!! bleh and double bleh! Get better soon.

Tanya said...

Zombie Chicken, thats too funny.

I love chickens, they're such entertaining animals.

:)

Sandcastle Momma said...

What a great beginning for a story! When I first read it I had to wonder what kind of meds they were giving you for that strep throat LOL
Now I want to read more and frankly I want the Zombie Chicken to grow and thrive as revenge.

Unknown said...

I love zombie chicken! Didn't seem overly romantic. Yippee! I was ready to keep reading. :)

Liane Michel said...

That would make a great "chick" flick. LOL!

Anonymous said...

This is good Sayre. I command thee to write more!

Anonymous said...

great story