Sunday, July 05, 2009

Fun Monday - 4th of July!


Grace, MamaRehema herself, is hosting this patriotic Fun Monday... and this is what she wants to know:

July 4th is US Independence day, for Fun Monday, please tell how you spend your Independence Day either this year or in the past. Do you have a July 4th funny story you would like to share? Do you have a family tradition for this day? For those who are not US residents, please tell us when your country’s independence day is and share with us how you celebrate/spend it. We would love some pictures too, you can share your stories in pictures too.

The fourth of July was spent with Darling Man's family. His brother Joe lives here in town, and his brother Mark and his family lives in South Florida. They drove up Friday. In addition to them, one of Joe's daughters and her family were here from Texas. And of course the MIL and FIL were there as well. It was quite the crowd!

We gathered at Joe's house for wonderful food - grilled ribs, shrimp, potato salad, grilled asparagus, corn on the cob... with key lime/mango pie and banana pudding for dessert. Oh, was I full!!!! Unfortunately, I left home without my camera, so I have no pictures of the first part of the day. Lots of swimming, paintball shooting, eating and visiting. I had never met Joe's two girl grandchildren - they were 5 and 7 and I really wish Kylee had been there to play with them. They would have had the best time!

Darling Man had to work the night shift at the TV station, so he left around 2:30. Long about 6, I realized that the dogs needed second supper and to have their water replenished, so I left ZBoy behind and went home to take care of the dogs. And when I came back, I brought my CAMERA!

The guys had obviously been playing a lot. Mark was trying to teach ZBoy how to throw a football. Z was throwing it pretty well by the time they finished.


After the sun went down a bit, there was more swimming.

And once it was dark enough, it was time for fireworks. The municiple display might be big and beautiful, but it's so crowded and loud that I haven't been to one since I was a kid and they had just moved them from Lake Ella to the Fairgrounds. Of course, we had our own. Mark bought them from a roadside stand down around Gainesville. Nothing too big, but some were quite showy and loud.

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to shoot fireworks, so they pretty much look like ghosts in my pictures. This was the best one. Sad, huh?

The kids had a blast though. The little kids picked out which ones would go next, and the big kids set them up and lit them. We did it in the street with plenty of room between us and the bangs.

ZBoy has always been a big fan in theory, but in reality, the fireworks are a bit loud and scary to him. It doesn't help knowing that his Uncle Matt lost an eye to home fireworks. He's still got the eye, but it's blind. So Z always keeps a very safe distance and a worried look on his face.
Finally, around 10pm, we said our goodbyes and headed for home.
Our eyes shut as soon as our heads hit our pillows. It was a long, tiring day, but a great celebration!!!
Go visit Mama Rehema to see how the other FM participants spent their 4th of July... and keep an eye out for Janis' assignment for Monday, July 13th!

13 comments:

Janis said...

You had a full fun filled day, it sounds wonderful. I think its great that zboy has an education and respect for fireworks, there are too many horror stories out there about people being injured. Thanks for reminding folks about me hosting FM next week.

margaret said...

What a wonderful day! Thank you for sharing, and happy FM to you!

jill said...

so far all we've gotten are burns, but i wont go near them! my hubby got hit in a delicate area one year and there's been a couple of misfires that provided a scare. i think we're pretty lucky in that aspect... my post is up! http://lilmouse.blogsite.org

SwampAngel65 said...

It must be fun to be able to get together with family like that...rarely happens with me...I'm jealous! AT least I know my oldest had a good 4th in Texas with the "other half" of his family. Mine was quiet and kinda boring after I got home from the concert...oh well...

Faye said...

Love that last photo of your little guy, Sayre. Those rosy cheeks and that concerned look on his face. Sounds like all sides of the family just blended right together and had fun in the great outdoors--a rite of summer.

Tell us more about key lime-mango pie. Banana pudding I know well!

Pamela said...

Neither do I know how to shoot fireworks. My powershot even has a little button that looks like a fireworks choice.

I'd spend the day in that pool if I'd been invited ....

Gattina said...

What a nice day together with the family !

Sandcastle Momma said...

That looks like a wonderful day!
I love the look on ZBoy's face - excited and scared all rolled into one. That boy is too cute.

Liane Michel said...

We went down to Carrabelle Beach with Dale's friend Gary and his wife Debbie. There were several people on the beach along with us and we all shot off our fireworks. Dale and Gary bought their fireworks from a place in Micanopy (a store down near Gainesville). It was like being at Tom Brown but without all the people and traffic!! Plus we also could see the show coming out of Carrabelle. It was a fun night although I didn't hit the pillow until 1:30 a.m.

grace said...

reads like you had a full house and some fun. thanks for playing. My hubby cut Henry's hair, it was becoming too long for my liking

Living Life said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Living Life said...

Looks like you had a nice day with the family. I know just how Zboy feels. I like to observe the pyrotechnics from afar. I was chased by one when I was a young un'!

Ari_1965 said...

Sounds like a good day. I've never figured out how to take pictures of fireworks, either. Your blobs are a little better than my blobs.