Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fun Monday - If I were a writer....

Ari has one more topic for us before she retires from Fun Monday hosting duties...
Topic for Jan. 31: Your first novel is published to wide acclaim. What's the title of your novel and what is it about?

Oh, but I AM a writer! I write here a few times a week. I write on my other blog a few times a week. Once a year, I sit down and attempt to write a whole novel in the space of one month (usually failing to finish as real life tends to get in the way - especially in November). And I write letters.

The funny thing is, I have always wanted to be a novelist. Since I was very young. I have three novels (one complete and the other two in various stages of disarray) in the works, and honestly, I believe the first one I ever attempted would be the one actually published, if not to wide acclaim then possibly to some....

My first novel is called "Mysterious Waters", which is what Wakulla means. Wakulla is the county where I used to live and it's a wild one. As a coastal county, it is rimmed with beaches, some beautiful, some not. There are fishing communities, resort-like communities, and poor Southern redneck communities. All of these tied together by both kinds of biker communities - the recreational motorcyclists who don their leathers on the weekends and join the ones with real tattoos and gray ponytails in noisy symphony on our two-lane highways. And there are the other bikers - the ones who use their bodies to propel their machines down the St. Marks bike trail, lunch at the open air seafood restaurants at the end and ride back to their cars afterwards.

My story is a murder mystery, set in Wakulla county and incorporates the various characters from different communities that exist in this wild, often untamed land. The central characters live in a mobile home a few miles inland, who use the bike trail to commute both to the coast and to work in town. In the course of living their lives, they stumble across most of a body, hidden under a bridge in the wildlife refuge. The ripples from this event cause major changes to them and to the communities that surround them.

I'll let you know when it hits the best-seller list!

In the meantime, go visit Ari's blog for other participants and see what other reading material may be in your future!

MOLLY of RETURN OF THE WHITE ROBIN will be the Fun Monday host for February!
And many thanks to Ari for an interesting month of topics in January!

4 comments:

Sandy said...

I love murder mysteries! A fellow blogger friend just had a book published so it IS possible. Give it a shot!

Faye said...

I'll buy it! I'll buy it! Love your setting description and can just imagine the mix of characters involved in this mystery. Not sure that I have a novel in me--maybe a travel memoir.

Kim said...

Go for it! I love mysteries, too. The title is fantastic! The mobile home setting could present lots of intersting characters. :)

Molly said...

I am impressed you have actually written a novel. Your mystery sounds great. You should publish as you already have your Fan Club here on Fun Monday.