Monday, October 31, 2011

Trick or Treat!

Halloween is pretty much THE holiday at my house.  I didn't get as into it as I have in the past for me, but my boy was really into it.

I spent a whole Saturday working on his costume, which started out as a bedskirt.


The turtleneck sweater and grey sweats were found at Goodwill.  The boots are Army boots sent to me by a friend (after a walk up the block, he came back - they were so heavy that they wore him out).  The helmet is a funny story...  After looking at the costume shop ($20 for a piece of plastic crap) and instructions on making our own (long, involved and possibly too much drying time), we took a look around the house and came up with our own.  A stainless steel mixing bowl, the inner ring of a portable toilet, and a pillow case.  It looks pretty awesome on.


The problem was that he didn't leave a big enough slit between the two and couldn't see out once he taped the pillow case in place...  The helmet got left at home with the boots.


We also had Kylee.  I'm not 100% clear on what this costume actually is.  It looks like a combination highschool student, fish person and cat.  The label on the bag said "Monster High" and I'm thinking that who ever created this costume must have been on one.


I wonder if those things I think are cat ears are actually fins?  She has them on her wrists and knees too.  Along with "fishnet" stockings.  I do know she's not a mermaid though.


Darling Man agreed to accompany them around the neighborhood.  I don't think he really wanted to go, but the lure of free sno-balls in the next block was more than he could resist.


I'm not sure what he's supposed to be either, but to me he looks like one of those semi-cadaverous English henchmen in an animated Disney movie - probably named Jasper.  (He's sucking his cheeks in too, which adds to the illusion.)

They made the rounds for about an hour and a half, while I sat on the front porch with my KenPo top on and crocheted and drank tea and handed out KitKat bars to the probably 30 children who came by.  Since Halloween is hit or miss around here, I didn't want to load up on candy (which, if not given away we would be required to eat) so I only bought two bags - and around 8:30 it was all gone.  Time to go inside away from the mosquitoes, turn off the porch light and say goodbye to another year's Halloween.

I think it was a pretty good one.

5 comments:

Sandy said...

Sounds pretty nice to me! Great costume for Z and I think Monster High is one of those tv shows that I will never watch but I'm not sure.

Happy Hallowe'en! to you and yours.

ari_1965 said...

Great crusader costume. Well done.

Karmyn R said...

The costumes both turned out great!

Bethany said...

I was thinking Scottish henchman! I love the knight costume.

Pamela said...

seems strange to deal with mosquitoes on Halloween. At least we had gorgeous weather and no snow like the eastern seaboard