Thursday, June 26, 2014

Finding my Style

My church has a small group of people who meet on the 4th Thursday of the month to paint together.  It's not a class, just people bringing whatever project they're working on.  I decided I wanted to give it a try so I bought some paint and some brushes and went.

I thought I'd try watercolors.  I had no idea what I was doing.   My first effort was this dragon.  It started with a line and turned into this:


The second time, I tried something a bit more deliberate.  Still not what I was looking for.


I thought about the stuff I'd done that I liked.  How I did it, what materials I used...  I remembered this thing.  In my pictures list it's called "Womb".  I also call it "Onion".  It's not my favorite.


Then there's this.  I call it "The Music in Me" and it started with a line, drawn with my eyes closed.  Then another and another and finally, I opened my eyes and decided what it looked like to me.  I LOVED this one:

So a couple of days ago, after my newest nephew was born, I was thinking about this new little person in my family and closed my eyes.  I drew a line.  And then another one.  And another one.  I opened my eyes and it looked a bit like a swaddled baby being held in someone's arms.  So that's what it became.  Tonight I took my doodle and turned it into a painting.


I think I may have found my style.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pinny portrait.