Thursday, May 19, 2011

Gardening Effort Update



Oooo... look!  My eggplant has a tiny flower!





                                         So does my habanero pepper plant!





Now THIS looks very promising!!!!  I have had lots of blossoms, but not many of them progressed to actually having a squash on them.  But here is a tiny yellow squash.  Hopefully it will get big enough to eat, and be joined by a few others as well.


This year, my plants actually GREW!  The aphids tried to destroy them, but I was ready with an organic spray that took care of them.  I've got a little powdery mildew on the squash plant and need to find out what do do about that - but even if we don't eat anything out of my little garden, I feel progress has been made.  Up until this year, I couldn't get anything to live beyond a couple of weeks.  The EarthBox got me started and I've learned a bit about that as well - like, don't over crowd it.  Which is why my eggplant and pepper are living in not-EarthBox pots.  I wish there were some way to get them more sunlight without exposing them to possible deluges of water from thunderstorms.  Most of my previous efforts at gardening that weren't eaten by bugs drowned.

Maybe not this year, but NEXT year, I intend to be munching off my plants in the spring and summer!

1 comment:

karisma said...

AWESOME! And the fact that they are in pots makes it an even better effort. You have to pay them more attention. :-)

Sometimes with squash, if you don't have many bees about you need to pollinate them yourself. Eggplants are easy, once they establish you will get a wonderful crop.

Well done! Big hugs xoxox