Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Double Your Fun!

I was making breakfast the other morning with eggs from Red Dragon Farm (the girls are finally producing again!!!).  Instead of my usual two eggs, I'd decided to go with just one that morning - so imagine my surprise when I cracked the egg and two yolks fell out of the shell and into my pan!

I've never seen such a thing before, but apparently it happens just often enough that there is a whole raft of supersititions about the meaning of two yolks from one egg out there.

One is that a marriage is coming up...   possibly due to pregnancy.  Another is of impending death in the family (which seems fairly common and is of Nordic roots).   Sometimes it's simply a good omen.  In the Wiccan religion, it is believed opening an egg with two yolks indicated plentifullness and good fortune: that you may expect one thing, and your expectations will be two- folded. It usually relates to fortune in finances and romance.  I could live with that one!

All in all, it was a delicious egg and that's probably all the meaning there was to it.  Except for this thought I had when I first saw them:   I bet the makers of hollandaise sauce would LOVE to find a way to make eggs have two yolks in them.  Much cheaper to make it with those kind of eggs than to buy single-yolk eggs... 

1 comment:

Karmyn R said...

There is also a few videos out there of people who find Eggs inside eggs -

One happened here in my hometown and the egg was HUGE. Inside was a normal size egg. The chicken died after laying it. I wonder what the Nordic myths would say about that?